permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Poplars ||| Save The Trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Poplars ||| Save The Trees
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:34:08 -0500

georg parlow wrote:

Maybe you can grow shittake mushrooms in poplar logs.

You can grow shiitake on poplar, but they decompose SO FAST , especially in warm humid climates like the south, that your better choice is oyster mushrooms. We have found, here at Earthaven in NC, that our "poplar" (Liriodendron, actually a cousin to magnolia) rots in about a year on the ground (even the big logs turn to mush) while, usually without inoculation, volunteering a fair amount of oyster species.
Keith Johnson