permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Poplars ||| Save The Trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Poplars ||| Save The Trees
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:19:16 -0600

around here the amish use a lot of poplar (are as we call it, pople) for building houses, & typically they use it green.

mIEKAL

On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 01:18 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

georg parlow wrote:

Outside of cabinetry, trim are there other applications that it is well
suited too?

As a furnitute wood it is outstanding and cheap. It is very stable and is used where you need components that do not warp, curl or shrink, i.e. drawer sides.
It is one of the best woods for use as plank siding for homes, outbuilding and barns or shops; it is stable and long lasting with little maintenance other than paint. Poplar board and batten siding looks great (you can often get very wide poplar boards).

toothpicks and boxes, according to uphof's "economic plants of the world"
(by memory, since book is 3 km away).

Maybe you can grow shittake mushrooms in poplar logs.

A lot more than that. It excels as a nectar source for bees and makes some of the best tasting honey. Fall color is very nice, excellent shade and windbreak,
a low maintenance, fast growing tree. Contrary to other input so far there's no more problem with falling dead limbs than with many other trees, i.e. pine, sweetgum, ash, sycamore, hickory; certainly less so than maple. It is as long lived as many deciduous shade trees, maple for one. It is a valuable tree. I can
understand why anyone with a large stand of them would have them removed, even for income. If they were to be sawed for lumber, that might be a good use, otherwise their value as forest is far greater than the small price they would bring from a logger on the stump. They complete the forest ecosystem, enhance rainfall and oxygen production, provide cover and windbreak as well as wildlife habitat.

Maybe we can convince Frank to leave them as permanent forest on his land.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net