permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Carbon Sinks / Fire Proof Forests

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jeff <jko@save-net.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Carbon Sinks / Fire Proof Forests
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:04:43 -0800

On Thursday 14 November 2002 01:07 am, Kirby Fry wrote:
> I think timber products should primarily come from those regions where
> trees grow quickly and are in a more humid climate less prone to
> devastating wild-fire.

If our objective is earth care then don't we want to think in terms
of diversity and sustainable harvest? When viewed from this
perspective i find the talk about clear cutting, fire prevention,
and forest management to be skewed towards harvesting.

Some studies have concluded that we waste most forest resources.
All everyone sees is trees and that is what we harvest. This ignores
all the other life forms. Here in the NW our forests have about half
their biomass underground and we are just beginning to understand
how it could be utilized. We also know that clear cutting changes
a forest and in older forests there will be a never return to the original
state. This isn't always a negative but our actions today are mostly
driven by ignorance and harvest pressures.

After stirring this chaos of forest information and self interest
one answer has emerged i can support. We need to connect
people with forests and raise our level of understanding. A
forest is full of resources which can be extracted while preserving
diversity and sustainability. I've watched and harvested from
our small forest for years and it grows more productive and
diverse each year. I've also have several "experts?" visit and
all they see are trees that could be harvested.

Probably, i'm too connected with this forest and my reasoning
is is somewhat emotional or protective. At other times it seems
that those asking the questions also control the debate. A
careful choice of what questions are asked can skew any
topic without the participants being aware of what happened.

If we focus on fire control it might appear that the forests need
to be removed. If we focus on economics then we view
trees as money and give them value. All the ferns, fungi, animals,
and other forest inhabitants are ignored. If we look at
weather, water quality, water retention, a different set of
conclusions occur.

A few years ago a study proposed a grid system of forest management
with selective harvesting and introduction of people and pastures.
It appeared to solve wildlife problems, fire problems. It also provided
a good quality of life and income to more people than our current
managed forests. This fits my idea of an evolving permaculture.

jeff (tree hugging forester with an attitude <grin>)