permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #410 - 9 msgs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #410 - 9 msgs
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:16:36 -0700

At 11:20 AM 11/14/02 -0500, you wrote:
I may be living in a brand-new conventionally built house next year that
will be chock full of off-gassing toxins....

What can one do to alleviate that problem ?

If it is conventionally built you don't have much chance. If you work with your contractor to use non-toxic plywood, paint, insulation, carpet, and glues then you must be prepared to pay more, and in some areas considerable more.

Do air-filters/purifiers help?

Rather than air purifiers I would air the house out for a week or two with exhaust fans, then be sure that you have good air exchange for the next year.

What ae the chief culprits ( carpets/cabinets?)

Virtually all of the materials that are manufactured contain toxic substances, particularly chlorine based chemicals. You might want to check out "The Natural House Book", David Pearson.

Are there alternative glues/materials that you could recommend?

Also, is there a way to lessen electro-magnetic radiation within a hi-tech
"wired" house ?

I just finished building a house and managed to eliminate most EM pollution with a readily available product that is twisted wire inside a flexible conduit. The standard wire is romex which is not twisted and therefore the EM field is much greater. Good grounding is also called for, particularly in your breaker panel. It is best to put your breaker panel in the garage or some other place where you won't spend much time. You can also wire the house so that the bedrooms are on separate circuits that can be turned off at night, this means wind up spring loaded clocks, and no reading in bed unless you have a remote control device that throws the breaker, (these are available).

The house will go up next Spring so there's still time to substitute
things...

Thanks....

Claude

Good luck Claude, I think that it is well worth it to create a living space that is supportive of our health, spirit, and material well being. Perhaps our illustrious leader President Shrub was raised in a toxic environment and that is why he is so crazy, and mentally bereft.
Scott

  • [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #410 - 9 msgs, Scott Pittman, 11/14/2002