permaculture - Fwd: [permaculture] Carbon Sinks / Fire Proof Forests

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: [permaculture] Carbon Sinks / Fire Proof Forests
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:14:51 EST

I've really been enjoying this line of reasoning-- the dialog over restoration of primeval landscapes-- because it brings so many issues to the forefront.

The consensus seems to be that restoration back to the point before European man came to these shores is good. But lots of caveats and questions come up.

The Native Americans lived in a robust landscape that was anything but endangered, so they could easily burn it off as far as the eye could see, thinking only that they could se the small game clearly without a lot of brush on the ground. The net result was that there was more fresh browse, and browsing animals increased. There were more rabbits as well because there were more succulents.

I have to compare this condition to that half of Maine (the Great North Woods) that is owned privately by the paper companies. They clearcut this area with total abandon, and in this particular climate it grows back fast-- really thich and bushy-- and supports a population of moose, deer, skunk, porkies, beaver etc that you just wouldn't believe. Even unusual animals like fisher martens that you rarely see anywhere else grow to giant size here.

A few years back when the environmentalists came to Maine they had a fit-- all clear-cutting was bad in their minds, and they put a referendum on the ballot to control how the timber barons managed their land. I was up there when the public dialog was taking place, and I found the timber interests for once had the more compelling argument.

They said they had been managing their land for well past 150 years and had learned to care for it as thoughtfully as any farmer did his own ancestral land. They were farmers and their crop was northern white pine. They said it might be different in other places but up here you cleared the land and let it rest for 30 or 40 years-- then you culled out all the underbrush and selected for your prime timber. The rest was pulped, or returned to the soil.

And it worked great. Coincidentally for the same period of time the lobstermen had evolved a set of traditional rules to manage the lobster that appeared to be better than anything that might have come up from Washington. That is, there were still more lobster out there than you could bring to market, and the only size that was pretty well depleted was the old jumbo whoppers, 100 years old (lobster are like beaver and racoons-- they never stop growing). But it was a good system, one that might not work anywhere else, just as anyone else's rules might not work there.

So if you develop a pristine landscape, are you going to let a transforming species like beaver (or in Africa, elephants) take the place of man and turn it into something else? Not always. I think sometimes you're going to want to step in, as an agent of modern landscaping management practise, and clear the varmints out so you can end up with more like what you want.

And if you want beaver, be sure to put your request in with all the municipalities. They don't have enough foster homes for urban beaver, so I suspect a lot of the varmints caught tree poaching in the city park end up as landfill.

Mike Elvin
Fuquay-Varina, NC