permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Indigenous land use (was: imitating fire)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "keller" <ak.and.ak@on-line.de>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Indigenous land use (was: imitating fire)
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:12:37 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 8:07 PM
> I'll move closer to my home. The evidence is overwhelming that virtually
the
> entire continental United States was not the wilderness that my enviro
> friends want to "restore," but a highly managed garden tended by about
18-25
> million people (4), plenty enough to change the face of a continent.
Here's
> a survey:

I remember reading an article some time ago (in Scientific American?)
showing that in some US forrests the proportion of oak trees with edible
accorns is much higher among the older trees (from pre-european times) than
it is among the younger ones. Obviously, what looks like natural forests
where actually orchards.

I guess that these oak species with well tasting accorns are actually
domesticated species. I also have a hunch that the mapple trees of canada
are a domesticated species and that the high sugar content of its sap is a
result of selection by humans.

Andreas