permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB and introduction

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB and introduction
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:19:00 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

Hello Chad!

The Wiki idea is even better in that allows form more information that
just plants. Since the chosen Wiki engine has a MySQL backend, it
seems like a short step to add all 7390+ PFAF plants with a little
glue code.

PHPWiki uses PHP and MYSQL running on a server at ibiblio where the
PermacultureWiki exists as a subset of my ibiblio website EcoLandTech,
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcplantdb/index.php

To cut to the chase, if you are willing to help us work on this
you could have your own ibiblio account and you and I could share write
permission
to the pcwiki filesystem. You could work with the ibiblio admins to get
the new (the plant db) MySQL database running (they would have to create an
account
for you with login (same as your ibiblio account login), etc.).

> There is also a related project called PCplantDB which

Seems to me I've heard of that somewhere ... :-)
That's our (the PC List) plant database project, started some time ago.
We have several acccompanying mailing lists for it, which are:

General
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/pcplantdb pcplantdb
Plant information
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/pcplantdb-data pcplantdb-data
Technical Issues
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/pcplantdb-tech pcplantdb-tech

I think intends to use PFAF and other contributions to create another
more open PCDB.

That's it.

I'm also interested in doing this kind of stuff provided I had time.
That means November/December at the earliest.

Your help with this would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Lawrence
permaculture list owner
--