permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Hitchins" <ScottH@wcig.org.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:40:49 +1000

In regards to providing information on plants for differing regions; You have
probably seen schemes that give different numbers or colours to various
generalised 'zones' (non-permie usage) of entire countries; many books and
seed packets use simple or more complex systems that are generally
useful........but take no account of microclimate, elevation, soil-moisture,
pH etc, etc. How 'bout a system that does take these into account and pretty
much ignores zones (except real permie ones). It seems to me that it would
be fairly simple to set-up a cross-referencing system like the plants for a
future database, but with the necessary parameters set by rigorous debate
amongst ourselves; once established, it would be very simple to add to it
Wikki-style. You would then just need to know the parameters of where you
want to plant and what jobs the plant must perform: enter these details and
generate a list of suitable plants. I realise there are already a few of
these databases around, but they don't quite get there permaculture-wise or
with wikki-wise accessibility that gives them the ability to evolve.

Regards,
Scott Hitchins.

erent-----Original Message-----