permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:12:54 -0700

BK wrote:
Hi,
Reguarding the suggestions on the plant DB I had 2 ideas:
<...>
I'm sure all these ideas have been hashed over before by professional
fields. Though while searching sourceforge, I note that they seem to be
focused highly on technical issues. It'd be nice to get a few programmers
interested in creating a opensource plant db of the sort above. It seems the
opensource community has an ethic of the public good, perhaps it could be
applied toward these things.

It could be a MySQL database connected directly to PHPWiki which already uses
MySQL for its own database, which makes everything that we see in the Wiki
possible.

It is conceivable that the PHPWiki developers might be interested in
providing hooks to
another, external, database, our plant db from the index.php which runs the
software.
Additional PHP scripts would need to be written for the database front end
and might be run as
Wiki Plugins from within our PC Wiki, to access the plant database.

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net