permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 00:34:59 -0700

Heide Hermary wrote:
This is pretty much what we will be creating for the SOUL (Society of Organic Urban Land Care Professionals) website, because those are everyday considerations for us. It'll be up by the end of the year, with the first 20 plants, and I'm hoping that we can link it to the percaculture Wiki. I still haven't figured out how to accommodate different regional information: for instance I know how a plant will perform along the Southern Coast of British Columbia, Canada, but I have no idea what it will do in Australia or heaven knows where. I know that's where the Wiki comes in, but I'm not clear how to set up the database so it can be searched and amended intelligentl. If anybody has experience with this I would appreciate some advice. I've got a bunch of plant information all ready, just need to do the database.

Why don't you add your plant data to the Wiki now. Text information will work
fine.
Miekal has alread created a location for us to start adding all sorts of
plant information,
graphics too. You can upload pics to us via ftp and I will put them into the
Wiki in the
appropriate places.
Here's a place to start:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/Plants
You can create subset pages with specialized information you want online,
i.e. ground cover, deciduous shrubs, broadleafed evergreens, etc. Just creat
a link (a Wiki link)
in your text in this format: [Evergreens], then subsets: [Broadleafed],
[Needleleafed] and so on.

LL
--
L.F.London