permaculture - [permaculture] Re: PC Challenge/Host Farm

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: keithdj@mindspring.com, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: PC Challenge/Host Farm
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:49:57 EDT

Hi Keith,

Always read your posts with interest. I admire the work you guys are
doing, and only hope that I can do similar things down here.

<< I wondered if you had considered
hosting a permaculture design course at your place. >>

I certainly have:)

I know we have discussed such a possibility in the past, but time, and money
always seem to get in the way.

Perhaps we could run this as a PC Designer's Challenge...kind of like the TV
show on HGTV. Different designers present owners with a plan, and then they
choose one best for them.

Better yet different plans could be presented, critiqued, and perhaps then a
consensus reached on best overall PC design that could be developed in
stages, or as labor permits. In addition each step/project would be spelled
out in detail with rationales,costs,man hour estimates, etc., etc., which
could be invaluable to others.

I 'm willing to make my farm available as a future site for PC Demonstration
Seminars, Courses, whatever. Thus folks could actually see how these ideas
work on a farm basis that could be emulated.

What do you think?

Another possibility is to offer this PC Challenge via the list. I could then
attempt to lay out physical aspects of the farm, layout, resources etc. to
give Designers, PC folks the info they need to produce a plan. The list could
then review plans, comment, make suggestions etc. Obviously costs, labor,
economics need to be factored in on a farm of this size.

It's really quite a Challenge. It would also be fun designing from the ground
up with someone sympathetic to PC.

Anyone brave enough to take a shot at this. It's like a real world PC
simulation game:)

Bye for now, Frank