permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wiki Web

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wiki Web
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 10:29:39 -0500

Looking thru the various wiki engines there is one feature that I think might
be quite valuable if you have
the disk space. My group uses a swiki which is actually one of the simplest
of wiki engines but it allows
for uploads of .jpg, .gif & I believe .png files. It might be quite
wonderful to be able to populate the
wiki with illustrations & photographs of various plants, designs, gatherings
etc. I think one could design
that upload to restrict file size to under 30-40K so that none of the pages
would become inaccessible to
people with dialup connections. I also think that a lot of the groundwork
for a permaculture plant database
could be initiated with a wiki environment. But so far, in checking out the
various phpwikis online I havent
seen that feature as a part of any of them.

swiki swiki
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/swiki

Another snazzy feature that I dont fully understand is the twiki
implementation which operates with
plug-ins. They have a plugin which allows a group of users to draw simple
shapes & enter text, ie we could
experiment with group design processes or someone that has a layout could put
their map online & make their
design process open territory to all. This seems to be a little more
sophisticated than other wikis & may be
beyond our scope but it sure got the ideas perculating in my head.

twiki
http://TWiki.org/

TWikiDrawPlugin
http://TWiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/TWikiDrawPlugin