permaculture - [permaculture] Phoenix Urban Farm Update

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Greg Peterson <Greg@Permaculture.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Phoenix Urban Farm Update
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:17:41 -0700

Hi all,

It has been a long hot summer and we mostly just harvested what could
stand the heat. A few tomatoes, lots of squash and cucumbers, okra
and egg plant. We are preparing for the fall root crops of beets,
radishes, carrots and all the leafy greens such as spinach, fancy
lettuce's and the list goes on. It is also time to plant broccoli,
cabbage and Brussels sprouts. When planting remember to add lots of
organic compost, fluff the soil and then plant.

We have also done a lot of work around the farm and with the non
profit and would like to share that with you. So to that end we will
be having periodic open houses here at The Urban Farm. They will be
on the first Saturday of September, October and November. The hours
for the September 7th Open House are 4pm to 7pm. Come prepared to
learn about what to plant for the fall and we will be doing some mini
presentations about The Urban Oasis and the projects that we are
working on.

Our Mission for the Urban Oasis is listed below. We are working on
several very interesting projects and are looking for volunteers to
move these projects forward. Additionally, if you have a project
that you feel fits into our organization bring it to the attention of
one of our team members.

Projects for the 2002 - 2003 growing year.

1. Class organization and presentation. Do you know something about
gardening, sustainability or Permaculture that you would like to
share.

2. The Urban Farm Growing team. We need help preparing and
maintaining our "Showcase" farm. One of the benefits is that you get
to harvest and take home some of what we grow.

3. Spring Garden Fling. We are planning a large open house and fund
raiser for March and need help planning these events.

4. Web and computer team. Communication and information
distribution is the name of the game here. Keeping up the web site,
communicating with our friends and the general public.

5. We also need some volunteers to help with these open houses. To
show visitors around and generally help out.

6. Fund raising. There is always the financial aspect of any
project. We are presently in need of $550 to send to the IRS so that
we may acquire our 501(c)3 non profit designation.

If you wish to contribute to any of the above projects you can call
us at 602/279-3713 or come and see us at one of our three fall open
houses.

Open Houses
Sept 7, Oct 5, Nov 2
4 to 7 pm
The Urban Farm
6750 N 13th Place
Phoenix, AZ 85014

The Urban Farm is 6 houses south of Glendale Ave on 13th Place. 13th
Place is half way between 12th Street and 16th Street.

Thank you all in advance for all the wonderful assistance you have
and will provide for our projects. As always if you do not wish to
receive these emails please let us know and we will remove you from
our list.

Greg
--

The Urban Oasis Center for Sustainable Communities
Mission

Greg Peterson
602/279-3713
800/678-8848