permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lfl@intrex.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 02:23:35 -0700

Charles Knoles wrote:

1) Start a research organisation similar to ATTRA but it would be devoted to
Permaculture.
It would give farmers of all scales, information on well proven techniques
for their bio-region. We
would also start a library of research that has been done on techniques such
as alley-cropping
silviculture, mechanical harvesting of perrenial polycultures, agroforestry
etc. These studies
would be made available to farmers in a simplified practical format.

This is a great idea. This project fits a Wiki perfectly and is exactly what
many of us
already have in mind doing. The Permaculture Database, for which we have
several lists,
hasn't taken off but I'll bet this one will, we could recycle those lists for
wiki work.

2) The development of a software program that can bring together the
enormous amount of
information that a farmer needs to consider. From this info, the program
could reccomend
how the farmer can minimize their inputs, reccomend remediation strategies
etc. We could napsterize
Cargill, Archer Daniels Midland, Monsanto, etc........ ;)

PHPWiki is that software. No real need to look further. It can link
internally to group-created information and externally
(PFAF and ATTRA, for example) to databases and websites, lists and
newsgroups and more. It can contain text documents,
graphics, multimedia, videos, sound files, pictures, diagrams, blueprints
(i.e. architectural), charts, table data, search engines,
landscape/farmstead/permaculture plans, flowcharts (renewable energy systems
and wiring diagrams) and more.

Permaculture Wiki, pyramid of information.

Whattaya reckon??

As soon as I have the phpwiki software I downloaded working or ibiblio
installs one for ue, whichever comes
first, we can begin. I will try to post some links to explanations of the
basics of wiki use.
Here are a few for starters:
What a wiki is:
http://www.ibiblio.org/dbarberi/wiki/index.php?WikiWikiWeb