permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wanna toy with a chicken coop/duck run/ veg garden design?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wanna toy with a chicken coop/duck run/ veg garden design?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:25:48 -0500

At 03:53 PM 8/14/02 -0700, you wrote:
I do have a few alternative ideas for you.
1) The most important consideration should be quality nutrition for your chickens, and of course, their overall health. Their habitat should be designed and implemented with that in mind, primarily.

Hmmm. Chooks are pretty tough critters, I think you can count on them to adapt about as well or better than any other livestock.

Stacking functions to incorporate your vegetable garden would imho be a secondary consideration. Keep in mind that eggs laid by chickens fed fresh plant material, insects, kelp, probiotic and naturally grown grain will contain adequate omega-3 fatty acids in enough quantity to conteract
the omega-5 (or is it 6?) fatty acids responsible for the problems associated with cholesterol from eggs.

Omega 6, also get such a balance in products from grazed ruminants. Chickens are regarded to have good nutritional wisdom, that is that they do an excellent job of balancing their own diet given the opportunity. I think a little effort to provide greens, bugs and decently grown grain will do them just fine. In fact you can drop the grain in the fat season and feed scraps of whatever, meat, fish, veggies, clover clippings, grain screenings etc, etc. much like ourselves they are very adaptable, especially if given a few weeks with any new feed to develop experience.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK