permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wanna toy with a chicken coop/duck run/ veg garden design?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lfl@intrex.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wanna toy with a chicken coop/duck run/ veg garden design?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:53:10 -0700

Ute Bohnsack wrote:
Since some folks asked for a graphic depiction of the idea (credit for
the idea goes to Doug Norval) I've put the whole thing, including your
comments on-line at
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-online/ideas1.html

Beautiful job you did with that page!

Any further ideas and comments are most welcome.

I do have a few alternative ideas for you.
1) The most important consideration should be quality nutrition for your chickens, and of course, their overall health. Their habitat should be designed and implemented with that in mind, primarily. Stacking functions to incorporate your vegetable garden would imho be a secondary consideration. Keep in mind that eggs laid by chickens fed fresh plant material, insects, kelp, probiotic and naturally grown grain will contain adequate omega-3 fatty acids in enough quantity to conteract
the omega-5 (or is it 6?) fatty acids responsible for the problems associated with cholesterol from eggs.
2) With 1) in mind, I would build a moveable pen that could aligh with
a group of parallel "runs" (fenced in) that would be cycled through use as forage areas or garden areas.

Don't just *stare* at that screen - Drop us a line and tell us something
we should know.

More later.

LL

--