permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wanna toy with a chicken coop/duck run/ veg garden design?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wanna toy with a chicken coop/duck run/ veg garden design?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:53:56 +0100

Hello Georg,
georg parlow wrote:

> hi ute:
>
> > predators (dogs,mink,foxes)
>
> no prey birds?

We have few birds of prey here - kestrels (Turmfalken), the odd goshawk
(Habicht), very occasional hen harriers in the winter (just seen once
in 7 years). There are also Merlins and Peregrine Falcons (Wanderfalken)
but not in this immediate area. Buzzards (Mäusebussarde) have only
recently been reintroduced to the very North (Donegal).

> > , and joy
> > if the dreaded slugs are gone!
>
> imho it is doubtful, that the garden shares your joy - slugs do serve a
> function in the healing succession of life on this patch - but alas, if you
> wanna harvest veggies you wanna keep it in the limbo, so get rid of the
> slimers!

Trying to. They will still have the remaining 9800 sqm to do what slugs
do. It's all about balance which has been tilted too much in their
favour. There's about 30 fat ones going up the stone wall outside to get
at the cat food on the window sill for God's sakes!

> cheers
> georg

Ciao,
Ute