permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wanna toy with a chicken coop/duck run/ veg gardendesign?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wanna toy with a chicken coop/duck run/ veg gardendesign?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:09:04 +0100

Thank you, Larry, for your comments.
Of course I do have the chickens health in mind as well. They shall get
everything they need. I have a source of organic feed grain, which I get
for my goats, plus lots of whey for about 7-8 months a year from making
goats cheese. Grit and lime would also be provided, and food scraps etc.
Bran, mash etc. all is available. I'm not planning on feeding the birds
on that little bit of ground alone.
I'm also in the process of building a small mobile run, our last one
wasn't sturdy enough. However, in order to achieve sufficient control of
bugs/slugs I need a bigger set up than I can move on my own, especially
since I've been having a bad back since sweet 17. The small mobile run
will be a supplement for e.g. the soft-fruit garden. Such
'mini-tractors' are handy but I like giving the birds their 10m2 each
which is difficult with a mobile set-up.
I've toyed with the parallel bed kind of idea but the need for a
permanently grazed perimeter made me move towards the concentric idea.
Do you keep poultry yourself?

So long,
Ute
in the sodden place (quite literally, but not as bad as Central and
Eastern Europe, God bless them)