permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Material for raised bed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Material for raised bed
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:54:40 -0700

The hard part about thatch is beginning from scratch; you need lots of
material, harvested at the correct time and treated properly post-harvest.
Also, a managed reed bed, for instance, will furnish better thatch which is
easier to harvest. I think there are oportunities here for artesanal
enterprises, and perma-connections to make with, f'rinstance, your sawage
wetland system. Currently, if you need thatch for your tropical theme bar,
f'rinstance, you'd generally buy it pre-prepared and shipped in from some
not-totally-plasticized part of the world.
-Rick