permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Material for raised bed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Material for raised bed
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:11:17 -0500

Two messages I found in the coblist archives seem to me to make the
best suggestions:

This response suggests that rather than having straight up and down
walls, that cob walls for garden beds would be sloped a bit, narrower
at the top, wider at the base.
http://www.deatech.com/natural/coblist/coblist-web/1996/0105.html

The conversation continues here, and these suggestions are added:
putting the cob wall on a bed of gravel, and putting gravel between
the soil and the wall, presumably to allow the water to drain and not
accumulate up against the walls. Also, the general consensus on cob
walls in general (those that aren't topped by a roof) is to top them
with tiles, brick, or something that sheds water.

http://www.deatech.com/natural/coblist/coblist-web/1996/0115.html

I contacted the person who had posted the original question, and they
did not follow through with the idea. Near as I can tell from the
coblist archives, nobody has actually done this so it is a question
that remains unanswered. I've order the basic cob books, and intend
to make one as soon as they get here and I can get them read to see
(a) how hard it is to do in general, and (b) see if it works.

Robert Waldrop, OKC
http://ww.bettertimesinfo.org