permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fw: Pemaculture garden design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fw: Pemaculture garden design
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:18:47 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> I sympathize with Andre. It can be so frustrating trying to find PC
> layouts, models for one to follow or modify.
> Well, it seems to me that certain patterns, land structures repeat
> themselves, and thus there might be some PC layout ideas I might
> consider, or want to adapt.

Permaculture design arises (exists) in the *relations* between
elements, not the elements themselves (and any 'element' can be seen as
a larger whole itself, in which (again) it is the relations that are
most important).

Relations do repeat - so I suggest that what you want to look at/for is
*relations* that repeat and consider how they exist and/or can be
created on your land, modified to suit your conditions and intentions,
etc..

Elements are not permaculture designing. They are just elements. Look
for relations within and between them.

The herb spiral mentioned provides areas of full sun, partial and deep
shade, drier and wetter areas, windy and sheltered areas, etc., all in
the little herb spiral space. The physical layout provides
micro-climactic relations that suit diverse plants' needs.

A spiral mound is only one of countless ways to create these relations.
I built a rock 'herb snake' (digesting a mouse, no less ;-) because it
created similar sets of relations *and* suited the larger layout of my
front yard garden better.

To build a lovely herb spiral (that looks just like all the nice
drawings and pictures) in a spot shaded by the house most of the day is
to not yet have grasped the essence of PC designing. Luckily, all
'mistakes' (if they even exist) are harvestable...

My next question for you is:

What do you want??

With/for/from your land, that is. It really helps to ponder, and put
in writing, your answers to this question. Then you can look at what
you've *got* and start examining possibilities and impossibilities (you
want a sequoia forest? Sorry... ;-), 'problems' and potentials, that
sort of thing.

"I want a permaculture design" is not allowed as an answer to the above
question... ;-)

cheers,
John S.

=====