permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fw: Permaculture garden design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fw: Permaculture garden design
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:42:08 -0500

Folks,
This is where the need for design experience or similar training comes in handy. I think in general generic layouts are of limited use, each site has variation in soil, drainage, shade, history etc that will drive design and implementation. You don't need templates so much as a good book on suitable companion plants and an understanding of the use of rocks, mulches, timing etc. In addition, I feel the operative words for gardening are "go for it!", it's mostly annuals and if it fails to work this year you modify for next year. Plant more than you need and trade for the crops that fail.
A quick example: I have three gardens at my site: A rock garden with herbs, strawberry and potted peppers. Doing great this year even with a cool spring and summer due to the heat buffer of the rocks. Implementation is on going; I'm always looking for better looking rocks. #2 is a traditional big country garden with the twist of a living mulch (white clover). The strain of clover I used last year just was not aggressive so this year I seeded in the most aggressive white clover I could find (Alice, Barenburg seed co). This may prove to be a mistake, certainly runs counter to much of the thinking on living mulches. This method would be a certain disaster in a dry climate, but here in Wisconsin USA we have plenty of rain. The last garden is in a E-W line of red pines and is all climbing species. Again, may well be a total failure, but I saw it as free and easy trellising, and wanted the chance to wipe out the deadly nightshade vines that infested the place. Got the inspiration for this one after watching a wild cucumber climb these trees last summer. Obviously these are very different approaches to the same problem, each fits a niche I had available and all look promising but for different reasons.
As for the KY farm mentioned, how much open land is in the valley and how is the drainage there? Whats the soil type?
Mark

At 08:03 AM 6/12/02 -0400, you wrote:
Good day:)

In a message dated 6/8/02 6:57:11 AM, grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk writes:

<< I have been trying to source some examples of layouts for a permaculture

> vegetable garden but have had no luck. >>

I sympathize with Andre. It can be so frustrating trying to find PC layouts,
models for one to follow or modify. Most often heard comment is that it's
impossible to do without visiting the land, etc.

Well, it seems to me that certain patterns, land structures repeat
themselves, and thus there might be some PC layout ideas I might consider, or
want to adapt.

For example I live in south central Kentucky, where mixed hardwood forest
abound. I have 300+ acres in such woods that ring the property, and lead down
to fairly gently sloped ground at the base of the high hills that continues
across bottom fields to a good sized creek, which is backed up on the West by
limestone based ridge.

Obviously I could provide more details, but am looking for holistic, PC based
development plan that could be gradually phased in.
Comments appreciated. Frank