permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:41:30 -0500

Elijah,
A few tips..
Find out which chemicals they are using and get copies of the labels. The label is frequently a multi page document listing the directions for use including issues like what crops can follow applications and when. This will give you a general idea on wait times for the safety of plants if not yourself. Most chemicals are pretty well understood as to their tendency to break down (or not), so once you know what you have you can plan accordingly or do further research. A good biologically active soil will deactivate many chemicals rapidly. I have even seen accounts of high OM soils deactivating chemicals so fast they become ineffective. If you can apply a lot of compost and work it in you should deactivate most of the nastys.
One can also do a bio assay. Take a sample of the soil in question and attempt to sprout sensitive crops in a flat etc. Beets and peas are particularly sensitive if memory serves; though the labels will give the best clues of the most sensitive crops for any given chemical.
One final bit of editorial comment - there are plenty of nasty chemicals circulating in the global environment, beyond basic precautions such as testing wells and bio assay of field soils, spending precious mental energy worrying about incidental chemical use in your neighborhood is missing the forest for the trees. We need to take a broader look at non degrading chemicals where ever they are produced. The latest road to hell is "not in my back yard".
Mark