permaculture - RE: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:44:54 -0500

At 04:03 PM 5/13/02 +1000, you wrote:

Scott Hitchins
scotth@wcig.org.au

It sounds like they are probably using, amongst other things, glyphosate ('Zero','Round-up',etc). While this in itself is very low in residuals, don't forget to research any carrier chemicals used with it; usually a surfactant (i.e. detergent) which studies have shown to have some bad side-effects, especially on amphibians. While on this subject, I hear that the U.S. is imposing bans on its use,

Nothing like this is going on in the US that I know of. On the topic though, the patent for glyphosphate has expired. Perhaps what we need is some enlightened capitalist to start producing a product with a more benign surfactant. The stuff is so damn handy.....

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK