permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 06:32:40 -0700

on 5/15/02 12:13 AM, John Schinnerer at eco_living@yahoo.com wrote:

> if someone moves on to this land and is working it, they
> are then an ag worker

Not the point. The proven pesticide risks to ag workers come from their
exposure during application of pesticides (see NCAMP site that Jude listed);
ag workers not directly applying pesticides show little illness.

> And, I find it hard to imagine that apples, strawberries, grapes, etc.
> (to name a few major examples) directly sprayed with toxic stuff aren't
> a potential health hazard to eat.

I'm suspicious, too. But the data are very shaky there; too many variables.
But I'm talking about what's been conclusively shown, not "everybody knows
it's got to be true."

Toby