permaculture - RE: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Hitchins" <ScottH@wcig.org.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 16:03:25 +1000

Scott Hitchins
scotth@wcig.org.au

It sounds like they are probably using, amongst other things, glyphosate
('Zero','Round-up',etc). While this in itself is very low in residuals,
don't forget to research any carrier chemicals used with it; usually a
surfactant (i.e. detergent) which studies have shown to have some bad
side-effects, especially on amphibians. While on this subject, I hear that
the U.S. is imposing bans on its use, while here in Australia, even though
authoritive studies have been done (NSW Dept. of Agriculture, I think.),
nothing appears to be happening. I'd be interested in pointers to any papers
written or any reasons given by authorities for its banning in the U.S.: I'm
having an on-going paper-fight with my local council who are spraying it
around like there's no tomorrow (which may well be the case).

back to your case, Elijah: have you considered using natural rainfall to
flush through the soil to drainage / holding ditches which are heavily
planted with 'remedial' water plants such as Phragmites sp. and Typha sp.
Again, this would depend on what had been sprayed.

This is my favourite Planet,
Scott.