permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 23:54:05 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> We've been eyeing some land in Hawaii that's currently 15 acres of
> solid, chemically grown, monocropped papaya. It's cheap, has an
> incredible location, and is surrounded by tall windbreaks and some
> avocados, coconuts, etc. It's mostly surrounded by more papaya
> fields.

Sounds kinda familar - if you'll tell me exactly where the piece is I
may be able to provide some more info on why/why not it is/is not a
good deal. If it's in Puna, there are several things besides poison
spray to consider - PGV, lava flow hazard zone, and what the ag
'neighbors' are doing, to name a few.

And is it for sale fee simple when the lease ends, or would you be
taking the lease? If so, what kine lease?

> Our question is - how long before it's
> "safe" to move in and live on that land? One guy told us 3 years,
> which seems excessive - is it? How about eating food off the land -
> wait longer for that?

Depends on a lot of things - is it soil, or just ripped lava; if soil,
how deep; was sugar cane ever grown there; what else has been grown
there; what are they spraying now; what else has been sprayed there.
I'm assuming it's in Puna with consequent high rainfall...?

You might gather that info and check with Jim Albertini (tell him I
sent you :-) at Malu 'Aina (malu-aina.org - near Kurtistown) for his
thoughts on "how long". He's an organic farmer, been in the area 20+
years and is a social/political activist who may have some useful info
for you.

A hui hou,
John S.

=====