permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Elijah Smith" <elijah@hilobay.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How long before ag land is safe?
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 07:03:54 -1000

John,

 Yes, it's in lower Puna - right between Lava Tree and Green Lake (Kapoho Crater) - just north of Halekamahina crater, if you're familiar.  It's where the red cross is here

 It's to the north of PGV, and while I'm aware of it, I think I can tolerate it.  It's right on the East Rift, but life is short.   Our neighbors on 3 sides are papaya, the fourth side looks like a small homestead, with bananas and citrus.

 It does have soil, not sure how deep.  I'm assuming it was probably cane at one time... most of that area was.

 Part of what is attractive about this land to me is that it's already been trashed - and we could do it a service to clean it up.  I'm just trying to get an idea of how bad it could be...

 Does that give any more insight?

  Thanks!
    Elijah