permaculture - Re: [permaculture] walking away is silly

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] walking away is silly
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:06:52 -0500

A further design and construction weak point is leaving garden paths to
grass. This is another weed entry point into the garden. Sometimes, paths
are simply covered in cardboard, usually from boxes. This eventually breaks
down and weeds reappear. Better to gravel or pave a path, especially if it
is in a community garden where t will be heavily trafficed.

...Russ Grayson

This problem drove me positively bats at one site I managed. I would dig out the quack in beds and watch it creep back in over a month. I'm trying to get my whole garden area into white clover in order to crowd out the grass. I am to the point where I have chucked the whole organic thing, spot spray the quack and bindweed and gone to the most aggressive white clover I could find, running counter to the conventional wisdom in living mulch circles. Your other comments on the efforts people put into their pointless suburban lawnscapes is well taken. I really am interested in harnessing this inherent need people seem to have for puttering. We need to get these folk putting that effort into PC designs before the place gets over grown with shade trees and ruined for a good design.
Mark

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison