permaculture - [permaculture] walking away is silly

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] walking away is silly
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:17:14 -0500

Permaculture needs to be open and honest about its successes and failures if it's going to be taken seriously and have a sustainable future.
Robyn

The hardest part of PC to swallow for me is this notion of designs one just walks away from that are supposed to continue developing into some kind of paradise. Given invasive species (exotic and native), wandering wild critters, diseases etc. etc. this seems a little far fetched in most situations. Further it really limits what one may choose to place in a design. Black Locust, for example, makes a nice addition to a grazing farm to provide the finest fence posts available, but would over run the place if one walked away. I have seen far too much good farm land overrun with brush and garbage trees in the name of "preservation" to believe we just get to step back at some point. Even the first people around here set the place on fire pretty regularly. We are part of the package, like it or not.
Mark

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison