permaculture - Re: [permaculture] walking away is silly

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] walking away is silly
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:44:58 -0400

> The myth is in part perpetuated by the promotion of sheet mulching,
> including the use of a newspaper weed barrier placed on the soil below
> the
> organic mulch, in permaculture as a 'preferred' gardening technique.
> The
> 'myth' in this case comes through the promotion of the belief that such
> barriers prevent weed growth. While it's true to some extent and while
> it
> does reduce the rate of invasion by weeds into a garden, maintenance is
> still needed to remove those weeds that persist. I have seen nut grass
> and
> onion weed reappear on previously mulched sites as well as the
> above-mentioned weeds move in - the kikuyu grass weaving its stolons
> between
> the layers of newspaper.

This mulching will inhibit a lot of what is already on the site, but
typically the soil dies underneath. Add to that the fact that you
basically install above ground what simulates disturbed ground. Most
invasive exotics and unwanted invaders specialize in colonizing disturbed
areas. Peo[ple basically give the weeds a perfect place to grow and no
competition.