permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Browser settings and Netiquette

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Browser settings and Netiquette
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:39:45 -0700

At 09:46 AM 4/18/02 -0500, Mark wrote:

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Jude, if you are going to resend this material, *please* only send it to Claude and other *individuals* who request it. Please *don't* send it to the entire list! It's over a half-megabyte of stuff in Word format - hefty stuff for anyone with a 5-6 MB mailbox size limit (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.), and not a fast download for those of us with dialup.

Larry, you should be able to configure Mailman to block file attachments being sent out to the list. I'd support that.

Thanks in advance,

Loren

I believe most browsers can be configured to block large messages and attachments. IMO people should do this on their end and let the rest of us use the full capability of the system.

Mark,

Yes, when I'm at home I can configure my mail client to not let me download anything over a certain size. However, you may be a bit misinformed about how email actually works. Most of the issue these days isn't necessarily on the client end, but the server end.

I haven't checked Doteasy yet, where my mail gets hosted and where I have a 5 MB space allowance. However, I *did* check Yahoo Mail, and they do *not* have an option to block large messages or attachments. I have a total of six MB available to me there; while I try to keep at least 1 MB free for incoming mail, sometimes it gets to be less than that. Two 500 KB attachments at that point will cause any further mail to bounce, quite possibly including stuff I really want or need.

On my other main mail account, I can block bigger stuff from downloading, but it stays on the server unless and until I call my ISP and tell them to delete it. Not an optimal solution.

Further, if I had the time I could probably cite you two or three Netiquette sites that would recommend not sending file attachments to entire lists of people. It's not just a good idea; it's accepted by many people as polite.

If I say to the list, "I have several MB of really useful stuff about X and will send it privately to any individual who wants it," I am allowing each person on the list to choose what they want. You still get to use the full capacity of *your* system; the sender just don't end up spamming several hundred *other* people who *don't* want a particular bit.

To put it back in Pc terms: File attachments are like surplus. If I can use the surplus, that's great. If I can't, it becomes pollution. I should be able to choose what I receive, and not get a "one size fits all" ecology. For you to tell me that I have to take megabytes worth of stuff that may potentially break my ability to receive email just so you can "use your full capacity" is like me telling you that you have to have an acre or so of kudzu because *I* like the stuff.

I fully support you in your right to receive whatever you want on your system. Please support me in my right to do likewise.

I apologize to the rest of the list for consuming bandwidth with this. However, I feel it's important that we discuss proper use of the "commons" here.

Loren

Loren Davidson Earth steward, healer, writer
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S. Ivanova, ret.