permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Worms eat my crap?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bryan Innes & Joanna Pearsall" <permaculture@eartheal.org.nz>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Worms eat my crap?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:01:42 +1300

Dowmus was operating in NZ, from Waiheke Island.
I will try to find the ref. for you.
If you insulate the barrel, then low temperatures can be avoided.
I think the Dowmus system works whit the "worm farm" underground, in which
case the temperature must remain fairly steady, Worms work best at about 24
C. but they are still active down to 10C- but a lot slower. I guess the
micro-organisms are not very active at that temp.
Cheers
Jo