permaculture - [permaculture] Growing most nutrition WAS propagating elderberries and Front Yard

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Growing most nutrition WAS propagating elderberries and Front Yard
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:48:08 -0500

At 11:04 PM 2/17/02 -0600, you wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
>Sounds like a lot of wonderful new additions. I enjoyed the
description >of >your Front Yard garden. You have an impressive
variety of plants >there.>How much of your household food do you
expect to produce >once your>plants are really bearing at a good rate
in the next few >years?

I wish I was organized enough to answer this question. One site that
I have read pretty thoroughly is http://www.pathtofreedom.com/ , which
is the site of some folks who have done amazing things with a 66' X
132' urban lot in an order neighborhood.

Their variety and productivity is amazing. Another interesting experiment
with detailed data was done by Albie Miles http://www.cityfarmer.org/albie.html .
His plan is good from the standpoint of nutrition and soil fertility. He was doing this
as a short term academic project, so the focus was on annuals.

get a lot of light on our growing areas all around the calendar. One
of the things I think about a lot is how that will change as the semi
dwarf fruit trees grow.

If you put the fruit trees closer to the house, you could still get most of the light
on the lower growing things. This would also give an extra benefit of airconditioning
for the house. If the trees are closer to the road, you might be able to
grow
more greens and lettuce in the summer between the trees and the house by
taking
advantage of the shade. This might get you a couple extra weeks of greens
before they bolt. A few other considerations...If the trees are tall enough
that nuts will drop on the house, I can say from personal experience
that it's difficult to get any sleep during the
weeks they are falling on the roof. Cherries and cherry-bird-poop are very
rough on car paint. Many of the things that you are planting are very
beautiful in bloom, so I bet your yard will be a visual delight.

Sharon
gordonse@one.net