permaculture - Re: Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "keller" <ak.and.ak@on-line.de>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 20:08:24 +0100

Title: Re: Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review
Thanky you, Russ!

that is exactly the problem I am facing.

I am convinced that pc has something to offer, but if I want to approach a donor to give me money for a development project, they want evidence that the money spent will have a positive effect and that the approach I am suggesting is better than the approaches of other people who have also applied for money with them.

I want to convince some donors that it is a good idea to finance a permaculture design course in Cameroon. What can I tell them to support the idea? I need very good arguments. I need projects in other parts of the world where pc has made a difference (a measurable difference, not necessarily "yields", but something that can be established objectively).

Then they will want to see evidence of success. I would have to write reports about the reports. If nothing came out, I will not get money again, and that agency will not support any pc project in the future. They want verification. I must be successfull, and I must be able to prove somehow the success.

If pc develops a reputation among donor agencies of unverified claims, should I better ommit the lable of permaculture and try to sell agroforestry and aquaculture instead to them and better not mention that I am sympathizing with pc (even if I use some methods borrowed from pc?). In the end it is the content that counts for me, not the label.

Question 1: does pc actually work.
Question 2: if the answere is yes, where is the evidence?
Question 3: does a permaculture design course enable people to do work that makes a difference? (I don't expect a 72 hour course to teach everything, it is enough if it can provide a basis from which these people start working _successfully_).
Question 4: What is the added value pc has to offer compared with other approaches. What makes it better?

Andreas