permaculture - Re: Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 14:06:37 -0800

on 1/7/02 1:32 PM, keller at ak.and.ak@on-line.de wrote:

> I have
> recently seen something on the web that 40 % or so of the people in Ghana
> are subsistence farmers. Unfortunately, their products don't show up in the
> statistics as financial income.

A friend of mine reminded me that in geography classes in American
elementary schools, we are taught only two things about foreign countries:
The name of their capital city, and their principal products. So the only
thing worth knowing about other countries is who runs the place, and what
resources we can buy from them. Kind of sums up the consumer perspective,
doesn't it?

Toby