permaculture - Re: Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 22:42:44 -0500

Title: Re: Pc slammed in Whole Earth Review
Lomborg, this guy, ay-yay-yay !!
Hurts don't it ?!

The thing about measuring mere outputs is that it
a)doesn't consider inputs. (time, energy, resources) - How much does your "superior yield" COST ?!
b) It looks only at the yield of specific things ( corn, potatoes etc.) To the exclusion of others.

A Food forest by definition will yield less of any one "crop" and by definition far outyields anything else because of the food/fiber/fuelwood/forage/mulch etc. Vandana Shiva speaks eloquently on this, about the number of "weeds" that formerly supplemented a traditional Indian's farm/diet/livestock and how the green revolution wiped all that out for the supposed superior yield of a quantifiable monocrop.
Those weeds were never counted, partially cause it was hard to do so, partially because our cultural bias prohibited us from even seeing them. When you factor in the total yield and substract the inputs, these systems far outperform a conventional one and that's plain to see to anyone who bothers to leave academia behind long enough to walk though the food forest and see with their own eyes.

I know this isn't the hard numbers you're looking for, and while I agree that it'd be useful to have some to stick it right back to the bashers, I also question why we should  "reduce" our  systems to meet the exigencies of quantification ?

More to your point:  I was rereading the Manual last night and on page 5 there's that interesting bar graph that shows the transition from conventional to Permaculture - nice to see all the benefits layed out graphically - all the usually unconsidered  ecological
( unquantifiable ?)"yields" of  soil building, diversity, wildlife, cleaner waters etc etc .

"we are clearly looking for the right questions rather than for answers. We should be alert to rephrase or refute the 'wrong' question." Says Bill on Pg 3.

And on Pg 12 " We can predict only those things we set up to be predictable, not what we encounter in the real world of living and reactive processes...... We can find out many things, both living and inorganic by timing, measuring and observing them....but never enough to understand the complex actions in even a simple living system.You can hit a nail on the head, or set up a machine to do so, and get a fairly predictable result. Hit a dog on the head and it will either dodge, bite back or die, but it will never react  in the same way again."

Toby, may I suggest as an approach to rebuttal redefining the parameters of the discussion. This guy's narrow, reductionistic, linear, materialistic  view of yield  IS THE PROBLEM and the very mindset PC seeks to redress !

Focusing on yield has led to a situation that is by any measure not only unsustainable, but disastrous.
Proof ?
Even the highest yielding ( even by their own $ $ standards)agri-biz farms are dismal failures as is evidenced by the fact that farmers, having fallen below 1.5 % of the population have literally fallen off the U.S census. They no longer exist ! Now how's that for a success story ?

In other words, if  enough is never enough, how can more possibly be better ?

Put another way : if you wanna keep getting what you've been getting, keep doing what you've been doing.....

Claude