permaculture - Re: permaculture trademark alert

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lsmitholy@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: permaculture trademark alert
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:00:05 EDT

I have been following the discussion and decided to chime in.  I took Scott
Pittman's PDC course last summer and worked with him and his Board of
Directors this past winter on their strategic plan.

I understand the frustration and confusion that has erupted due to Bill's
actions.  We revere him so.  But the organization must move through this
transitional period in the best way it can.

The organization sought a way to control the content of the PDC and the
integrity of the movement.  Trademarking the word "permaculture" was the
method chosen.  This provided reasonable assurance that only PDC grads would
use the term to describe their work.

With the recent turn of events, this means of control is no longer available
(apparently it never was if it was not trademarked in the US).  So, how else
to maintain the integrity of the movement?

I think certification is still an appropriate method, only more should be
required of someone to actually go out and teach or landscape for money.
This still does not guarantee competency.  We all experience bad mechanics
(who are licensed).  The difference is that we don't encounter one bad
mechanic and think taking our car to a mechanic is a bad thing in
general--which is what seems to happen when someone encounters a bad
"permaculturist."  This is due to the youth of the movement and the ignorance
of the consumer.  Consumers need to know what kinds of questions to ask
someone when they hire a "permaculturist."  If you want to create
professional "permaculturists" I'd say you have some work to do in informing
consumers to make good decisions.

That said, I don't believe there is such thing as a "permaculturist."
Permaculture is a framework, a lens, a way of interacting with the
environment and society.  Yes, there are some practical techniques, but they
evolve as we do and are not set in stone.  I forget who was talking about
this, but the idea of competency permaculture classes for different
applications is a good idea.  Rather than cover everything, cover what is
applicable to a group of engineers, a group of mechanics, a group of nurses,
a group of farmers, etc.

The grassroots movement of "permaculture" is growing up.  Some coordination
is essential at this point.  It's not going to come from Bill anymore.  So I
suggest (humbly) that you take this opportunity to look at where the movement
is and where you'd like it to go.  Some kind of guidelines for teachers is
going to be necessary, internships, new curriculua, etc.  I believe
permaculture has an exciting future ahead of it, but it will take
coordination.  And who cares what you call it as long as the idea gets
disseminated.

Peace,

Linda Smith