permaculture - permaculture trademark alert

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Irwin <jwirwin@permaculture.net>
  • To: PcListServ <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: permaculture trademark alert
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 22:47:13 -0400

Not to Worry......

Another reason Bill Mollison's attempt to control
Permaculture is not worth worrying about:

Lisa & Bill really can't keep track of all Pc Certificates,
courses, literature, & ideas!!!
[US Govt tried to control prohibition in the 20's & 30's
& with all of it's resources, the US Govt failed.]

The Mollisons don't have a tenth of the necessary resources
they would need.

* It would be a bureaucratic nightmare, even if everyone were
cooperating with new procedures. The Mollisons would need about a
handful of full time people just to keep decent records.
Since most of us are naturally independent, and may not
cooperate, maybe you could triple that number of people.
Imagine keeping data for all certificate holders, courses,
publications, activities, and references - Endless updates,
clarifications, questions, lawsuits, .........

* Consider....How would they avoid a hierarchy? How would they
know teachers are following the course outlines as submitted?
How would they avoid appearing too rigid/exacting/meticulous/precise?
How would they communicate with those out in the field & away from a
phone, computer, post office? What about translating
back & forth from language to language?
What will happen when Bill is compost? .... etc. etc.

Most Permaculture practitioners will continue
in their own style as they do now.

(My experience in trying to put together a directory & get
all the names of people who have taken a course (in North
America) proved to be nearly futile. Even if I had worked
full time & had a nearly free phone expense, I would not have
done much better.

Too many people were hard to track down. For one reason or
another it was hard to get anyone to voluntarily [consider
being asked to pay a fee at the same time] supply
information. {For Example, I have sent lists of nearby Pc
folks to over 200 people who requested contacts in the
state or region where they live. I always state
that addresses may be out-ot-date & that any changes
should be sent back to me so I can update my files. I only recall
ONE person replying with a change.})

On the other hand:
Bill Mollison co-invented the term "Permaculture", taught
Pc to more people than anyone else, & has written
the Permaculture Designers Manual, which is the Pc "Bible"

As long as he is alive, he will be considered the leading authority.
When the nature of Permaculture is in question, the Manual and
the basic principles will be be encyclopedia & the reference.

So, although Permaculture has taken on a life of its own, there
really isn't a way for him to be any more influential than
he already is, except by continuing to write and interacting with us
in a positive manner.

We all know Pc NEEDS to EVOLVE. Mother Nature has all of the
answers, & we are just beginning our journey of sustainable
homesites to sustainable villages to sustainable societies.
We HAVE to allow differences, we HAVE to work together,
and we HAVE to keep learning and experimenting.

[In other words, its natural that the OUTLINE will grow
and change, as ecosystems, climates, and especially people do.]

In my experience, the majority of people devoted to Permaculture
are decent, caring, conscientious, and doing their best. I
expect that to continue.

No long-term worries here, mate,
........but we need to support anyone who is threatened or
is concerned about this new development.

John

P.S. feel free to pass this on to Bill & Lisa