permaculture - Re: Sustainable Building Materials

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Sustainable Building Materials
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:57:03 EST

Hi,

In a message dated 1/15/99 1:11:21 AM, Eric S. wrote:

<<I admire your goals and wish you all the best. I had similar thoughts when
I started building, but didn't do such rigorous research. I did look into
many alternatives, evaluating each. As I got into the project,
"practicality" raised its ugly head and distracted me from more important
things. I continually found pros and cons to products - no clear answers-,
and we had self-imposed limits on time and money.>>

I sure do empathize with Eric's comments above. Claer cut answers are hard to
find....but why. Is there not enough consensus among the leading sustainable
architects, and designers? Have the systems not been tested long enough?

I have the same kind of " program " as Dawn. I don't want to live in a yurt,
or a beer can walled home. I want to build more efficiently and sustainably
than most...but I don't want to live in a teepee. For me compromises are
inevitable. $$$ are a major consideration. Yet I don't want to sacrifice
qulaity, and long term lower costs.
Just trying to make a decision on a heating system is a chore. I like the idea
of ground source heat pumps, but not the cost. I like the eidea of using
wood...but am concerned over dangers of fires, storing wood inside for
convenience, hassles of dealing with proper wood burning etc.
Outdoor wood furnaces seem a real posssibilty...but don't know enough about
them despite company literature:)

And it goes on. Sure wish someone more knowledgeable would post their best
recommendations on same keeping budgets in mind. Best to all. Frank