permaculture - Re: Sustainable Building Materials Audit

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Paul Osmond" <p_osmond@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Sustainable Building Materials Audit
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 02:46:40 PST

Excellent information references there, Fiona and Russ.

I would add another to the list - involves a subscription and is not
cheap (about Aust$85 per year for non-profit organisations) - but full
of good ideas. This is the Environmental Design Guide produced quarterly
by RAIA, the Royal Australian Institute of Architects. It is also
available on CDROM.

A good one for libraries to subscribe to. Check out the RAIA web site at
www.raia.com.au for further details.

Cheers, Paul

>Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:32:55 +1200
>From: Fiona Campbell + Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
>To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [permaculture] Re: Sustainable Building Materials Audit
>
>Hello...
>Here in Australia we have a number of publicly-accessible sustainable
bui=
>lding project
>demonstration buildings. The history of such initiatives dates abck to
t=
>he mid-1970s
>with Sydney University architecture students consstructing their
'autonom=
>ous house'
>from recycled materials.
>
>Regarding thr performance, embodied energy and environmental/ health
aspe=
>cts of
>building materials, there are two Australian books which may be useful:
>
>1) Sustainable House; Mobbs M, 1998; Choise Books, Sydney. ISBN 0
947277=
> 48X.
>
>This describes Michael Mobb's research and retrofitting of an inner
urban=
> Sydney
>terrace house for resource (energy, water, materials) efficiency.
>
>2) Building Materials and the environment; Lawson B (Solarch - School
o=
>Architecture, University New South Wales) 1996; Royal Australian
Institut=
>e of
>Architects (2a Mugga Way, Red Hill, ACT 2603, Australia).
>
>Research on embodied energy in building materials (reviewed in Green
Conn=
>ections, the
>Australian permaculture magazine, last year.
>

>Regards...
>
>...Russ Grayson
>
>gardenbetty@earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> This summer I am hoping to start a sustainable building demonstration
p=
>roject
>> (my new house!) and wish to use the MOST
environmentally/human-friendly

leave-permaculture-75912D@franklin=
>.oit.unc.edu
>

>--
>PACIFIC EDGE PERMACULTURE
>Russ Grayson and Fiona Campbell
>PO Box 446, Kogarah NSW 2217 AUSTRALIA
>
>Phone 02-9588 6931 (IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
>Email: pacedge@magna.com.au
>
>Permaculture education, publishing, design.
>NSW contact, Australian City Farms and Community Gardens Network.
>APACE Kastom Garden Program, (village agriculture), South Pacific.
>PaD (Permaculture and Development) Project .
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: p_osmond@hotmail.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')