permaculture - Re: Sustainable Building Materials

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mike Carter and Carol Cannon" <cobcrew@sprynet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sustainable Building Materials
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 15:28:48 -0600

We have spent much of our time over the last 3 years struggling with these
issues. The conclusions we have reached after many mistakes:

1) The environmental impact of your housing will be inversely related to
the amount of money that is spent on it, up to a certain point, where the
expensive "green" alternatives slowly start moving you back down the curve.
Conversely, the more time you spend on your house, the less the negative
impact will be. Haste and waste.

2) Eric is right about the building codes. Find somewhere to live where
they are reasonable or non-existent. Or, build out of simple (earth, straw)
materials and what you can recycle, building so cheaply that you can just
move on if the code enforcement people hassle you.

3) I met a man in Oregon who has spent $15 on his house. He will spend
several hundred dollars on the roof. We are building a small shed for about
$350 (almost all roofing materials) that has an earthen floor, recycled
concrete stemwall, cob walls, recycled windows and door. It should be quite
pleasant to sleep in. Question every perceived need and build small.

4) Don't worry about hard numbers regarding how "good" your house is. The
comparisons will be so culturally biased as to be worthless. Compare
yourself to indigenous housing, and it will make you feel pretty bad;
compare to the US average and you will feel good about yourself.

Mike

Mike Carter & Carol Cannon
cobcrew@sprynet.com
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/cobcrew