permaculture - Re: observations afoot

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: observations afoot
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 20:10:20 -0700 (PDT)

At 08:32 AM 6/8/98 +0000, Miekal And wrote
>The second observation is that the growing tips & leaves of some plants
>such as pears, peach, peppers, gooseberries & others are dark purple
>instead of the usual green. Is this an indicator of increased UV?

The temporary deficiency of phosphorus, which usually occur in the spring
time, when the soil temperature is cool, manifest itself as a purplish
coloring in the leaves. I see it on all my apricot trees, and my recent soil
test confirms low available phosphorus content. I read that usually the
situation becomes satisfactory as the soil warms, because the availability
of P depends upon soil temperature and biological activity. Rock phosphate,
bonemeal, superphosphate, as well as rich in P compost, can help fix the
problem.

Scott & Arina Pittman

Permaculture Institute
PO Box 3702, Pojoaque, NM 87501 US