permaculture - observations afoot

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Miekal And <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: observations afoot
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 08:32:30 +0000

A couple observations from our local homesite. Welcome any comments
including others that might be having the same occurances.

Our little town is having a tremendous spread of spittlebug, appearing
on literally every manner of plant, tho in particular it seems to
affects the wild growth more. The leaves of the plants get interminably
wrinkled.

The second observation is that the growing tips & leaves of some plants
such as pears, peach, peppers, gooseberries & others are dark purple
instead of the usual green. Is this an indicator of increased UV?

Also, now that our cherry trees are starting to kick in, we have an over
abundance of robins living offa the trees. They are not warded off by
mirrors, seem to find their way under the bird netting (& then cant find
their way out & I havent found a source of netting large enough & cheap
enough to completely enclose a tree). Any other berries or wildlife
cover that fruits the same time as pie cherries. I have several
varieties of bush cherries including nanking & korean & they have barely
set fruit.

miekal
Dreamtime Village
http://www.net22.com/dreamtime/index.shtml