permaculture - Re: The Permaculture Institute

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eugene F. Monaco" <EFMonaco@compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Permaculture Institute
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:27:09 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
>I've no problem with advanced diplomas if they are given out on the basis
of
merit rather than rewards for irrelevant services or tokens of friendship.
say this holding 5 myself, and having seen the lack of standards, wondering
if they are worth the space in the file cabinet. If the advanced diplomas
will be indication of merit rather than rewards for playing ball with the
appointed leadership, the effort is worthwhile. There are still risks in
adopting the corporate form, all the more so since you don't seem to
acknowledge them.<

Folks, I agree that perhaps this discussion has gotten out of hand
emotionally, but I think there are serious issues here nevertheless. The
issue of accrediation has come up before. There are many folks working in
the kingdoms of corporatia or officia (read government) that can get
reimbursment for courses that are accrediated. This would help struggling
consultants.

Everybody knows that that accrediation was created to weed out the
charlatans, and that in that proces, some slip through the cracks and
others get left out. I think many of us agree that permaculturists have
been left out. Those of us that have degrees from accrediated institutions
are perhaps more sensitive to this than others. Of course it doesn't mean
that everyone with a degree in something makes a valuable contribution,
they don't; likewise, some of the most successful in their fields have no
degrees: Sam Walton never finished high school; Bill Gates quit college in
his 3rd year (whether you personally think these folks are great or not is
irrelevant, the point is they're tops in their fields).

Bill Mollison dropped academia as an institution because it seemed to be
the best choice for him at the time. This leaves many of us feeling short
when we have gotten our unrecognized advanced degrees in the field. To my
knowledge only Slippery Rock U offers a masters program in permaculture,
and it's not in permaculture per se, but rather an environmental blah blah
blah masters with a permaculture twist. Perhaps this is the legacy of
Mollison that we'll just have to overcome.

There is a parallel here with chiropractors. There was a time when
chiropractors were considered by the AMA as charlatans. Now they've gotten
acceptance, and it's the herbologists and accupuncturists and naturopaths
who are the charlatans. Yet some make ground as the thing evolves.
Naturopathy is recognized in Nevada but not Tennessee.

Clearly there are few if any permaculture teachers in N. America that have
put more effort into permaculture education standards than Dan H. That he
would be somewhat miffed at the P.Institute being created outside of him is
IMO understandable. That being said, I think it's also true that the
stated attempts of the P. Institute to gain accrediation is an idea who's
time has come. Unfortunately, almost no one recognizes permaculture design
certificates as being worth anything other than attendence certificates,
like you get when you go to any pop course. In certain limited instances,
one might be able to win a few points with a potential client, or among
others in the permaculture network by proclaiming holdance of these
certificates, but that is a personal thing more than anything else.

Once someone steps up and claims to be the holder of the keys to the
standards, it will cause riffs among the other pioneers who are around.
And pioneers aren't likely to give up ground any more than they do in
nature; but succession persists nevertheless.

Perhaps its time for the P.Institute to extend an invitation to those
previously left out of the process, kinda like they did in Philadelphia
200-some years ago. I think we'd all be the better off for it all.

Gene Monaco
East Tennessee Permaculture (EFMonaco@compuserve.com)
Herbs, consultations, & training for total health and environmental
sustainability
PO Box 11851, Knoxville, TN 37939 (423) 457-4354