permaculture - Re: The Permaculture Institute

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kirby Fry <KirbyFry@compuserve.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Permaculture Institute
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:05:57 -0400

Dan,

We were talking about the Permaculture Institute because of accusatory and
presumptuous sentiments that YOU expressed about it. It shouldn't be too
hard for you to realize that not everyone immediately understands or is in
agreement with your brash outlining of what permaculture is all about. So
please don't get perturbed if someone asks you to explain yourself.

Your description and complaint of all of these "new" permaculture
institutes supporting Aussie teachers sounds like pure whining to me. Your
version of bioregionalism is getting closer to biofascism. Who gets to
define what "Natural" is? Who gets to make the rules about how to behave
in a regionally-correct manner and who gets to enforce those rules?

I would much rather learn about permaculture informally in the country side
and never see a design certificate than take one of your standardized
competency evaluations. For me that typifies the mental morass that the
west is mired in... and you want MORE of it instead of less.

Maybe that's what I was trying to ferret out of you, how badly do you want
executive/private electronic mailing lists, teacher standardization,
competency testing, design patenting, literature and logo copyrighting,
organizational licensure, etc? Who do you represent, surely not just the
divine lady you harald in your signature block?

Furthermore, do you really know what the these "new" permaculture
institutes are doing or do you just spend your time fantasizing about it so
that it suits your paradigm of who's right and who's wrong? Why, if you
bothered to ask US for instance we would glady tell you what we're up to,
but somehow it seems too late for that.

KIRBY [@ Cross Timbers Permaculture Inst. on Lake Buchanan, TX;
512-756-7878; web address csf.colorado.edu/perma/]