permaculture - Re: The Permaculture Institute

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kirby Fry <KirbyFry@compuserve.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Permaculture Institute
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 00:24:26 -0400

Dan,

>> The fact is that the first step for the group was to promote an
Australian permaculturist <<

Did the Permaculture Institute promote those design courses last summer? I
honestly can't remember what was on the flyers.

However, I don't believe you mentioned what was wrong with promoting
Australian permaculture teachers. It would certainly be nice if they
promoted north American teachers. Or are you implying that travelling to
another continent to teach is unethical?

I, on the other hand, might say that using the planet's resources to send a
good teacher accross the sea would be the MOST ethical thing we could do
with those resources.

>> So we have an institute that promotes zero standards for certification.
<<

That's not exactly true. I know Bill expects the students to receive 72
hours of class room time to obtain their certificate. I would call that a
standard.

>> Nature uses anarchistic designs, not hierarchical designs. The very
structure of a 501(c)3 violates permaculture. <<

This statement seems to be extremely subjective to me. Am I supposed to
logically conclude that registering a group with the government is
completely counter productive?

I agree that a permaculture movement could be totally successful without
creating any kind of corporation, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that
by creating any kind of corporation a Pc movement couldn't be successful.

KIRBY [@ Cross Timbers Permaculture Inst. on Lake Buchanan, TX;
512-756-7878; web address csf.colorado.edu/perma/]