permaculture - Permaculture in Mid Missouri

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew Erb <erba@lincolnu.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Permaculture in Mid Missouri
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 23:20:02 -0500 (CDT)

I have no "training" I would like to learn more about permaculture.
The most useful learning tool for me would be books, are Bill Mollison's
books a good starting point? I'm convinced that even though permaculture
has great ideas that could change the world it won't happen without
unification (as you state in a recent post). Specifically what can
each of us do to spread the word, get more people involved, if we don't then
all the
effort may be in vain. I think that I will print up some information
sheets and start talking to people in my area, Mid Missouri, I know there
are a few people around who share similar values. I also think its
important to reach those who don't have similar values, or have not yet
considered that how we live our lives affects the health of the planet
and the sustainability of mankind. Without the cooperation of our
communities we have nothing, simply walling ourselves off and saying that
good ideas will catch on if they are good enough won't work. People
that I have talked to about what we can do to save the planet and
ourselves, in general seem to be unaware that there are problems and when
problems are pointed out they do not seem to grasp the magnitude and
urgency of them. I suppose unless it affects them personally or we
educate them enough (I should include information about environmental
problems and starvation in the info sheets I hand out) they
will not understand. I beleive that permaculture is a great concept and
that it's time has come, and really want to help make the planet a safer
more hospitable place to live. I really need help in the Mid Missouri
area to learn and then educate others. If anyone knows anyone in the
Jefferson City / Columbia Missouri area who would be helpful please let
me know. Person to person
communication is one of the keys and is something I will attempt to do
more of as I hope everyone will. I want to thank all those who have
helped me to learn what I know about
permaculture (which may not be volumes, but non the less has value to me
and hopefully to others with whom I share what I have learned.
Over the last year or so I have sampled this list and communicated with
a few people, thank you (speciffically to Dan H.) I want to make the next
step and practice what I have learned. If anyone in the Jefferson City /
Columbia Missouri area is interested in working together and creating a
more sustainble community please contact me. I'm interested in starting
organic gardens and have a tentative site at an elementary school here in
Jefferson City, and would like to get as much volunteer help as possible
and hopefully start or inspire more sites. I think that growing organic
food is a great way for kids to learn about the earth, eating healthy, and
compasion for others who are less frotunate.

Andrew Erb
erba@lincolnu.edu
573-636-8731