permaculture - RE: invasive non natives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: YankeePerm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: invasive non natives
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:40:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Carl:

In general, I agree. However there are really serious errors that have been
made, such as introduction to goats and blackberries to various Hawaiian
Islands, Introduction of Europeans, Sheep, and Cattle to New Zealand, etc.
I've seen ordinary nasturiums in New Zealand smothering trees. Why? You
tell me. We've all seen the landscapes destroyed by cattle, goats & sheep.

On the other hand, some rampant plant species in particular are useful.
Again, gorse in New Zealand is on the side of the land. Kudzu can hold soil
when other human-induced degradations have been severe. In Ireland, people
were blaming rhodendron for the decline of the oaks because the former were
growing more as the latter declined. Actually, so far as I could tell, the
oaks were going to acid rain as oaks do across the North Temperate Zone.
This opened the canopy and the acid-loving rhododendrons took off, probably
enjoying the slight nitrate boost as well as the additional light.

As one who is among native peoples, you might discuss with them the role of
elders in such matters. In any sustainable society, the elders, usually
specifically chosen elders, rule on these matters. No, that species would
not do here. Yes, this one would be ok. This is the way it works in tribal
peoples I know, to the extent that their tribal culture persists.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email. Next starts in Oct. 1997. Internships available.
Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
YankeePerm@aol.com

If its not in our food chain, we're not thinking.