pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Quite

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Plants For A Future <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Quite
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:16:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Bear K wrote:

Howdy all,

Don't worry, I'm still around. :-)
A couple of things on the front-end (web) front...
Chad, would it be possible to wrap the plant descriptions in a few more tags? It would be nice to be able to format it a bit more. I suppose I should write a mockup for you. For the results something like:
<ul class="plant">
<li class="common">Dandelion</li>
<li class="description">
</li>
</ul>
<ul class="plant">
</ul>

It would really allow a lot more flexibility on how things get displayed.
Something similar for the plant description. As Richard mentioned, maybe when we're up to it, output as XML, and run it through XSLT to get the markup above.

Also, on tags like the plant uses, should we perhaps use a (tooltip-like) popup to hold the description, instead of a link to a new page?

Yep sound good. I do think there is a use for a link to a page as well.
The idea in my mind is that say there is a particular medicinal use.
A user could hover ove the term to see the meaning of the term and
then.... click on the link to get more details, in particular other
plants with the same use. Sort of part of the relationship mechanism
with pages for each term (not just plants).